To access the full bulletin, please click here: HS Friday Bulletin May 5
MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCIPAL:
Dear Parents / Guardians,
Raise your hand if you loved exams! Certainly not me! I found most of them frightening; I remember the nervous feeling I had when I was about to enter the examination hall. Thank goodness that exams are a thing of the past for me (and I am confident that the majority of you feel the same way). Unfortunately for our high school students, they are still very much a thing of the present. The fact is that about 80% of each senior class are candidates for the IB Diploma and the remaining 20% often sit many IB certificate subjects, so it is important that throughout High School we give students a taste of things to come so that by May of their Senior year, exams have become less scary and more manageable. The intention is that with exposure, students can develop strategies regarding both preparation and test-taking so that they are able to perform to their absolute best when the time comes.
With just 5 days to go before the Grade 11s start the end-of-year exams and one week before the Grade 9 and 10 exams, I thought I would include in this week’s bulletin some advice that you can chat with your child over the weekend as they prepare for their examination. Each year, we send this same advice out to the students, but it would be great if they hear the same message from home too.
- Get a good night’s sleep the night before. Working late into the night is not good preparation for the following day’s examination.
- Have a light breakfast: sandwiches, cereal or fruit (do not eat or drink unfamiliar things that morning).
- Don’t drink too much liquid (to avoid unnecessary visits to the washroom).
- Before you leave home ensure you have all necessary stationery – pencils, erasers, sharpener, and most importantly your ID card.
- Get to school at least 30 minutes before your exam begins. This gives you enough time to relax yourself.
- Stay calm and remain focused.
- No last minute discussions! That will only send you into the PANIC ZONE!
- Even if you don’t have the urgent need to, try and go to the washroom before each exam.
- Listen to the proctor carefully.
- Read the instructions on your exam paper and if you are unsure about anything, don’t hesitate to ask the proctor (that’s why they are there).
- Don’t waste time. If you get stuck on a question because it seems difficult or confusing, move on to the next and return to the tough questions after.
- Don’t panic. If you feel yourself sweating or hyperventilating, put down your pencil, close your eyes, take deep breaths and consciously relax. When calmer, go back to work.
- Allocate your time in the exam properly.
- Stick to your schedule so that you’ll have time to answer all the questions. Spend more time on questions that are worth more marks. Watch your time like a hawk!
- If you are out of time, give your answers in “bullet point” form. Examiners award marks for facts and not long sentences.
- For multiple choice question, make a guess if you don’t know the answer.
- Get to the point when answering short-answer or essay questions. Remember KISS – Keep It Short and Simple!
- If you feel uncontrollably ill during the exam notify the proctor
- Use extra time to review your solutions.
- Most importantly, remain positive.
- Remember, examinations are not the be-all-and-end-all of your life, they are just one aspect of your life as a student.
Other notices – the MS/HS Art exhibition opened yesterday in the lobby of the Fine Arts Theater. Again, the quality of the work that the students have been able to produce is excellent – hats off to the art teachers that are able to nurture this raw talent and guide our artists as the explore different media and artistic styles. Its great to see these artists’ talents evolve as they make their way into and through high school.
The Middle School play “Man of La Mancha” opened yesterday evening and continues this evening, and tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon and evening. Tickets are available on the door; the evening performances start at 6:00pm and the matinée tomorrow afternoon begins at 2:00pm. I’ll see you there!
Take care everyone, have a relaxing weekend
High School Principal